Friday, February 6, 2015

My Love of Chocolate Month- Week 1

Chocolate.
What can I say about chocolate?  I can remember when chocolate and I became the best of friends.  It was during my freshman year of college when I came home for winter break with my friend Noah. My mother took us out to lunch at a place called the Italian Bistro.  I can't remember what we ordered to eat but I do remember Noah asking me to split the chocolate mousse with him for dessert.  At this time in my life I considered myself a salty snack lover preferring chips and pretzels and never ordered dessert.  But that day I agreed and let Noah order the mousse.  When it came to the table I remember frowning and looking at this brown blob and thinking "that could never be good" and boy was I wrong.  Smooth, creamy, sweet and delicious is what that mousse was to me and after that day I didn't see much more of Noah but chocolate and I have been together every since.
During my plant based journey I have been able to find some of the best dairy free chocolates from bars to chips to powders and can't wait to share them with you this month. 
My first pick is the Ghirardelli unsweetened cocoa powder.  This dark rich powder makes a great vegan version of the chocolate mousse that started it all.  Paired with ripe avocado for creaminess and vanilla and maple syrup for sweetness you too will fall in love with this powder.

Ghirardelli Avocado Chocolate Mousse
1 large ripe avocado
1/4 cup or more to taste Grade B Maple syrup
1/4 cup Ghirardelli unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup vanilla flavored Almond milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of sea salt

Add the peeled and sliced avocado to a high powered blender and mix until smooth.  Next add the other ingredients and mix until blended well.  Place in an air tight container and let cool before serving.  I like to serve mine with fresh berries and slivered almonds. 


As always I dare you to try it, like it and send me a picture to Brownveggiemom@yahoo.com.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment